- for coding: go over
- go over and possibly de-list
- zoo category — need to clear them sooner or later
- gmail fuxi* tags
- gmail todo* tags
- t_oq tags
- t_nonSticky tags
- t_fuxi tags
- Draft blogposts
- *tmp categories? Sometimes low-value
- remove obsolete tags and categories
- Hygiene scan for blogposts with too many categories/tags to speed up future searches? Low value?
- fuxi the English blog
- clean up the contact_large.txt
- 10 most recent posts — have the highest visibility but undeserved and should be back-dated aggressively !
- oq11 blotposts
- fuxi_* blogposts
- bookmarks in local browsers
- 0zoo blogposts — recent and often needs review and quick-refresh
- –“softer subjects” rather than mostly-tech topics
- gmail 7day tag
- my open blog
- gap-analysis is more specific
- t_coworkerBenchmark is most generic
- t_c++pattern — must be a named pattern
- t_c++idiom — must be well-established small-scale
- t_ECT and t_c++idiom are mutually exclusive
- t_tecniq — higher than syntaxTips, less selective than t_c++idiom or t_c++pattern but Should NOT be dumping ground
- t_implBestPractice is like gentmp
Background — I have a few dozen “private and confidential” blog posts about work experiences and plans.
Choice: recrec blog, private view
Choice: 1330152open blog
(Discarded choice: private blog in blogger)
–advantages of recrec:
- well-designed categories. I often rely on them for my own review
- the posts in this blog are higher quality and valuable insight
- I can easily switch on/off the privacy protection, without moving the post
–advantages of the 1330152 blog:
- the recrec blog was not designed for self review purpose, though it is used that way nowadays
–Conclusion: use quality as criteria. Keep low qualities in 1330152.
I would say choose one among
gzCope, gzPain, gzThreat, GTD
In rare cases, use simultaneous categories.
GTD is more specific than Cope. In a sense, all GTD posts are also part of Cope but actually Cope is more about job market, moving up, choosing specializations.
* batch jobs
* any scripting except python/php
tbudget – polish original_content?
tbudget – polish drafts?
It’s easy to waste time trying to polish this blog when you get the impulse to improve your online profile. A few tips:
* delete some posts
* focus on original_content
* look at visitor stats. focus on top posts in blog.tanbin.com
The 2 major + some minor categories
#1 tech tips, observations, experiences —
#2 finance/trading/quant knowledge
# wall st tech workplace realities
I feel #1 is more widely useful. My #2 content is often amateurish.
Introductory topics are more widely useful, but there are often good explanations online and in print, so you may need to specialize on a niche topic. Most importantly, you need to develop a communication style to reach out to beginners, using clear English.
original_content — should be original AND worthwhile
good enough to show on blog.tanbin.com? don’t be too strict. Most readers only look those few posts on first page.
I don’t want to “contrive” for the short term. My labels, once applied, should slowly build up like a snowball.
Over the long run, when we have 600 original_content posts, the defining feature would be “original”
— _orig label
If too many items pending “promotion/approval”, then perhaps move to “orig2”??
— before publishing
* check labels
* check dates
* check title
draft status means … need refresh, or not finalized…
drafts are easier to edit
drafts are easier backdate
drafts serve as refreshers
Resist temptation to publish drafts. You can mass publish drafts but not reverse.
too many posts in draft –> may lose data? nah
Note this label doesn’t include posts under smart ptr and iterators — pseudo pointers
Criteria for “* labels”:
– above average among developers
– favor original content; accept good summaries
All c++big3 posts are relevant but let’s not put this label on them
Some fixed income posts should probably move to finmathMisc.
large labels are less precise and less useful.
z_bold — bold claims. Easier to remember
*real — real world stories and observations. Easier to remember.
chipaway on _orig label ie original content candidates
chipaway on drafts
chipaway to quality-control original_content
chipaway on unlabelled
chipaway on vague titles — hard to be specific And brief … so be long winded!
chipaway to delete worthless posts
chipaway append “educated-guesses” to post titles
chipaway on vague label
Bear in mind … addiction…, time well spent?
Some notable posts in my other blogs:
- why UChicago? short, clear answers for interviewers, among other UChicago posts!
- swing xx topics !
- maxmize weekends – as of Mar 2011
IDE… — are development-assistance tools – IDE, svn, ant …
script… — job spec. production automation. Unix and scripting are inseparable, so is Autosys.
should do this during a big refresh session
Situation — I have too many “new ideas” to blog.
- Gmail drafts is my default choice.
- Alternatively, I can create WordPress posts without title, and without category. The 0zoo default category is rather nice. Even after I have a title and a category, I can keep the 0zoo category as “new-draft” indicator. It’s easy to remove this category as it ranks to the top
I think overall it’s OK to have many labels on some posts.
When we review Label3 we may realize too many posts. We could remove some at that time.