Time is a quintessential /limiting factor/ — when I try to break through and reach the next level on some endeavor, I often hit a /ceiling/ not in terms of my capacity but in terms of my available time. This is a common experience shared by many, therefore easy to understand. In contrast, a more subtle experience is the limiting factor of “productive mood” .
 This phrase is vague and intangible, so sometimes I speak of “motivation” — not exactly same and still vague. Sometimes I speak of “absorbency” as a more specific proxy.
“Time” is used as per Martin Thompson.
- Specific xp: Many times I took leaves to attend an IV. The time + absorbency is a precious combination that leads to breakthrough in insight and muscle-building. If I only provide time to myself, most of the time I don’t achieve much.
- I also take leave specifically to provide generic “spare time” for myself but usually can’t achieve the expected ROTI.
- Specific xp: yoga — the heightened absorbency is very rare, far worse than jogging. If I provide time to myself without the absorbency, I won’t do yoga.
- the zone — (as described in my email) i often need a block of uninterrupted hours. Time is clearly a necessary but insufficient condition.
- time for workout — I often tell my friends that lack of time sounds like an excuse given the mini-workout option. Well, free time still helps a lot, but motivation is more important in this case.
- localSys — absorbency is more rare here than coding drill, which is more rare than c++QQ which is more rare than java QQ
- face time with boy — math practice etc.. the calm, engaged mood on both sides is very rare and precious. I tend to lose my cool even when I make time for my son.
- laptop working at train stations — like MRT stations or 33rd St … to capture the mood. Available time by itself is useless