See also my sample list in the sms twister blog visible progress # very rare therefore to be celebrated
Contrast with the views in [[reconciliation]]. Beware empty [g=] glorifications that don’t mean much when I look back 20Y later.
Every week, I actually make more progress than my fellow daddies with kids and commute etc. However, Once a while, in retrospect I would fall apart and cast serious doubt on (and belittle) my progress and point out the unfortunately invisible long-term effect.
I think many people implicitly follow a harsh and simplistic criteria like earning capacity, kids’ grades or absolute return, to dismiss and discredit all the “progresses”. This can become irrational, counterproductive, and /demotivating/ — engine loss of power. Such criteria are unfair to the self. If you are a teacher or coach, would you be so harsh on your student?
It can be a punishment, like a flogging whip.
Putting on a critical thinker’s hat, I feel that for most guys in my situation, it’s no mean achievements to maintain current condition and make small progress, with invisible long-term effect. Anything more is asking too much, and requires luck, talent, determination, contexx etc.
- –ranked by …? I want to highlight the unsung heroes…
- cholesterol, dental, belly and weight? maintaining is no mean achievement
- loving relationship with wife? maintained, even strengthened
- knowledge (and first hand experience) with diet, fitness, aging? building up slowly
- more blood donation, done for my kids.
- semi-retirement planning? improving through 5 discussions/year
- more familiar with Bayonne residential market
- relationship with in-laws? improved, as visible long term progress. More important — relationship with my own parents maintained
- boy’s renzi and Chinese reading? improved slightly. Not really long term visible progress but at least he maintained
- physical flexibility? maintained .. yes! Improvement? yes a bit of visible progress, with huge effortstamina? maintained … no mean achievement
- [g] financial domain knowledge? I expanded to FX; market data; low-latency equity; FIX exchange trading…. Visible progress but shallow.
- algo and coding test performance? I tend to belittle the improvement
- bonding with kids? constantly building, deepening… Not by default, but by effort.
- c++/c# conquered as a visible long term progress. Rather hard and long mileage, which probably means high entry barrier for the new entrants.
- Probably more important — java skill level maintained.
- credit score
- financial assets (mostly holding well against inflation)? yes visible progress but I tend to belittle it. Building this portfolio actually required persistent effort, years of analysis, experiments, ..