The strategy — “Whether I ask for a big base or modest base, there’s a chance I may have problem with manager expectation. So let’s just go for the max salary and forget about learning/tsn”
- algo trading? tend to pay a premium, but I wonder how they assess my trec.
- java/c++ combo role? will Not pay lower
- Some quant skill? tend to pay a premium
- If a HFT shop makes a real offer at S$150k base I will decline — no real upside for me. Similarly, if a quant dev job pays $170k base I will decline — the promised accu (across jobs) is a big mirage. Accu can happen within a single job, but so is the technical accu on a single job.
Max-salary game plan must not ignore :
- correlation between salary and expectation — as observed in some past jobs but not in every lucrative role. My Barclays and 95G roles were great.
- the stigma, damagedGoods and high expectations in Stirt and Macq…. Ashish’s view — just earn the money for 6 months and leave if not happy.
- reputation risk at the major banks.
Am i still a survivor? I would say YES in OC and GS, and yes in Macq based on the internal transfer offer.