grandpa’s advice is 随遇而安 — “Do your best. If they decide it’s a role mismatch then look for another job”. I will expand on his advice and add relevant tips and observations
- academic self-image .. fragile — Ashish pointed out I was academically too successful and unable to cope with put-downs
- best effort — I don’t need to bend over backward and sacrifice family
- no shame
- no fear of stigma — sounds impossible but it is possible !
- no regret
- guilt — the guilt should be on employer for making a wrong hire and creating hardship in my life.
- stay positive — there’s a chance I can survive for 1-2 years
- peer caliber — Ashish said those guys aren’t rock stars
- Saurabh attitude — I believe at a high salary or as the first technology hire for Julian, expectation would be rather high. Can I withstand the pressure as Saurabh did?
- GS pressure cooker — I survived there, so I should be able to survive anywhere else.
- learning to cope — At GS/Qz/Macq, did I learn coping strategies to manage the pressure? I hope so.
The pressure to perform would likely create real stress in the family, as i’m not as ‘carefree’ as in Bayonne. I feel some of the past stigmas would come back to haunt me.