Background — expert test-takers and Math Olympians don’t create value. Grandpa is more than an expert in his domain — he created ground-breaking original research.
Generally, developers make more lasting impact than other roles. Developers are seen as value-creators. Here are my original contributions as a Wall St techie:
- 95G — I created the stored proc as the basis of concurrency control
- 95G — I created the wait/notify framework in B2B
- Barc — emulating the functional programming spreadsheet in java
- —-Below are less “original”
- RTS — nyse integrated feed XDP parser. Huge impact to billions of downstream users.