You wrote “I think many leetcoders are fresh graduates, or young people, who have more time and energy. I know I cannot compete them …”
Q: Are those leetcoders really stronger in coding tests? Generally yes, but it depends on the type of coding question.
- For a weekend take-home assignments …. I am not sure they would produce better quality code than us. (I’m not very good either). Code smells matter to my past interviewers.
- They may not run as many tests as we do.
- I tend to spend 200%+ more time on the assignment
- For white-board ….. or remote dumb editor pair programming (west coast favorite), they may not be able to explain their thought process as well as I do.
- My 2007 Google white-board interview used pseudo code, so the leetcoders’ advantage would be much lower.
- For completely original questions created by a hiring manager then sent via hacker rank platform, leetcoders may not be fast enough to solve them, since leetcode problems can’t include every newly invented problems.
- I hit two problems related to shortest-path algorithm, which can be similar to leetcode problems. I also hit very unusual problems.
- For multi-threading coding questions, leetcode doesn’t help.
- hit me at least 8 times — UBS, Barcap, Gelber, Bbg ..