Historical observation by Ameet of DeterminedAI
- Earliest application domain — image classification, using GPU, part of Computer Vision. beat human performance in 2015
- Initially Apache Sparks and MLib didn’t support deep learning
- DL only became a college comp science topic since 2010’s. AI is now one of the hottest majors.
- ML was mostly an academic discipline… need to become an engineering discipline. 2 barriers
- complex workflow
- fragmented, not holistic infrastructure
DeepLearning training phase can take months
Hyperparameters — configurations to define a specific DL model
Top 3 classic DeepLearning domains — computer vision, speech and textual NLP.
–social science applications have been less spectacular
- Recommendation system
- Mobile advertising
- Financial fraud detection
- NLP – highly successful application of deep learning even though data is produced by humans !