Update — Enjoyment is often short-lived and affected by too many factors like
- respect by mgr #bonus
- “strategic” learning #Barclays
- income cf to peers
Instead of Enjoyment, I often prefer “engagement”.
However, for both enjoyment and engagement, the signal-to-noise ratio is below 0.2 i.e. those “noise factors” above are at least 5 times stronger.
Background — discussion with an older fellow developer about helping our high-school kids select a major.
Example — Look at Aunt Gennifer. She changed her profession around age 40 to find a better paying and less boring job.
Example — grandpa has an ever-green interest in his research field, but most researchers in this field are not well-paid (it’s the least commercial field of research). In terms of income, I think grandpa’s medical and pension benefits are in the the top 1%.
Example — me. I entered trading-engine-dev circa 2007.
- It pays well above the average professional salary across all professions. (I was told U.S. family doctors earn about 150k only.)
- Market depth is excellent — look at my post on NBA salary.
- The constant pressure to upgrade and learn is perfectly acceptable to me. In fact, I seek opportunities to maintain my learning pace
- I don’t find it tiring or boring. For a few years before 2007, I told myself “I don’t want to remain a developer for life” but had a U-turn.
For most people, it’s hard to find a profession that’s not boring, not too tiring, and pays well, a
field you could keep plowing till retirement, if you ever retire.
In fact, such a field is likely to be /oversubscribed/ — too many hopeful new entrants but few would get in and fewer would survive 😦
Example — Lianzhong’s daughter Borong loves writing, but she realized it wouldn’t be an easy way to make a living. Similarly, a large number of individuals have a meaningful and rewarding “hobby” but can’t make a decent income from it
- tweaking with computers and gadgets
- visual arts # including photography
- literary arts
- performing arts #including music
- sports, games #including board and electronic