Background: the constant need to economize on my learning hours. Have to attempt to pick the survivors
FIX as a tech skill is an example of unexpected resilience. (However, this is in a specialized domain, so competition is arguably lower.)
- SQL, in the face of noSQL challengers.
- XML, in the face of light-weight serialization protocols – json, protobuf
- Bourne shell, in the face of python, perl…
- php, mysql, in the face of newer challengers
- STL, invented in the 80’s (??) with many limitations, challenged repeatedly
- tibrv, challenged by 29west, solace,
I have a bias towards older technologies. They have
stood the test of time.