Since 2010, I have carefully evaluated and executed 3 broad strategies:
- deepen – for zbs + IV
- diversify or branch-out. Breaking into new markets
- stack-up – cautiously
- eg: Deepened my java/SQL/c++/py knowledge for IV and GTD. See post on QQ vs ZZ.
- eg: diversified to c++, c#, quant, swing…
- eg: diversify? west coast.
- eg: diversify? data science
- eg: diversify? research + teach
- eg: stack-up to learn spring, hibernate, noSQL, GWT.
Stack-up — These skills are unlikely to unlock new markets. Lower leverage.
GTD stress/survival on the job? None of these help directly, but based on my observation GTD skill seldom advance my career as a contractor. It could create a bit of spare time, but it’s a challenge to make use of the spare time.