– Anyone (even a non-pianist) could teach piano to a kid, but perhaps not correctly;
– Anyone could teach swimming, but Qiu Yi has insight;
– I would guess any medical undergrad could treat patients, guided by a textbook – Management consultants — These guys go by case studies. Not experts in my industry. Why would I listen to them?
– Application design, low or high level, is an art. An inexperienced guy could go by textbooks, but actually, fine judgement needed at every turn.
In Stirt and Macquarie, how fast you get things done is not as important as getting things done right. Managers here are very particular about the details. I think they want things done right and stick to that long term. I can only guess they have seen hasty code that didn’t last, that required massive rework. Example
* the 2 earlier Error Memos coders
* Some of the code in CAOS (account opening)
This is one reason they want older guys with deep experience and strategic insight.