Update — In ##what actually determined%%past job satisfaction I concluded that respect(zbs) was the #1 determinant of my job satisfaction. In these 3 Singapore jobs, my efficiency and zbs were insufficient compared to whatever their benchmark is. Even in java, theoretical, complex domains, without distractions … my colleagues could be superfast. Even if I get a lot done, I can still be seen as under-performing — low respect low bonus. Consider GS.
It’s kinda hard to measure 2 developers’ output. Given my background within my past teams, I now feel I did reasonably well on GTD, not super productive or super slow. Some periods in OC and Stirt were highly productive. My productivity was not excellent in Citi, Verizon, even 95Green,
not higher than in Stirt. Conclusion — my GTD productivity self-assessment is swayed by my income and boss’s assessment.
- In OC, I took care of Guardian, Quest, Excel interface, Bloomberg and other part of GMDS. I helped out on GMDS testing a few times. I wrote the web-based log viewer in WCF…. I think my OC 1st-year GTD productivity was reasonable, probably higher than Citi, and not lower than barcap.
- The donut bonus was at least 50% due to manager relationship.
- In contrast, at 95Green and Barcap my GTD was not much higher, but the value of my output was higher than team peers. I spent my spare time on c++, swing, c#, quant…
- In Stirt and Macquarie, manager felt I was good enough to be transferred to other teams — sign of respect
- Stirt — I had lower value-add than the veterans, but probably higher value-add than most new joiners. Technically I was rated competent by everyone, otherwise they wouldn’t set up the transfer. My Stirt GTD effi was clearly higher than at citi and not lower than Barcap or 95G. Perhaps only lower than GS.
- One /speed bump/ was the perfectionist team lead who approves everyone’s commit
- Another speed bump was lack of online resources for hacking (i.e. self-study).
- Macqarie role has very high requirements in terms of communication, leadership, but in terms of technical expertise I was clearly appreciated, otherwise they wouldn’t hint the internal transfer. Kevin criticized my effi but given his high standard on quality, my effi was higher than Citi and OC, and probably not lower than barcap.