If I compare developer requirement in FI vs eq derivatives
* latency, volume — easier in FI, but the fastest IR markets are faster than listed options.
* market data — easier in FI
* pricing — developers need slightly less pricing knowledge in the FI space. In EQD, volatility math is an everyday reality
* domain knowledge — FI space has more complex products but I don't see deeper knowledge in FI developers.
* trade execution, position management, pnl — about the same level of skill requirement
Overall, I feel FI has lower requirement but pays high. Perhaps the desk is more profitable.