roughly ranked in terms of interviewer’s emphasis
- OOM and GC. memory conservation.
- Avoid dupe objects.
- avoid keeping large order state object
- avoid recursion
- JVM tuning beyond GC tuning
- avoid network like distributed cache. Favor single-JVM designs
- FIX payload size reduction, such as encoding and compression
- multicast. RV is more stable than the newly invented multicast-JMS
- MOM message size control
- !! Peer-to-peer messaging eliminates message brokers and daemon processes
http://www.sun.com/solutions/documents/pdf/fn_lowlatency.pdf — diagrams, brevity.
JRockit real time — http://www.oracle.com/appserver/docs/low-latency-capital-markets-whitepaper.pdf